Jesse Harris uses freelance writing to explore themes related to politics, the environment, animal rights, science and technology. If you are interested in working with Jesse on projects involving writing, editing, researching, or fact-checking, please contact him via the contact page.
- Precision Services – Billing and Operations
Responsibilities – manage logistics and operations for a construction company
- Student Resource and Service Representative, Contact North
May 2019 – August 2019
Responsibilities – Assisting students using distance education programs.
- Head of Science Department, Nancy Campbell Collegiate Institute
October 2011 – June 2013
Responsibilities – Teaching and developing content for high school science courses.
- NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Assistant
May 2011 – August 2011
Supervisor – Dr. John Honek, University of Waterloo
Project – Binding Interactions of TipAS protein to Thiostrepton and its analogs
- Queen’s University, MSc in Chemistry
Supervisors: Dr. Pascale Champagne and Dr. Philip Jessop
November 2015 – February 2019
- Queen’s University, MASc in Chemical Engineering
Under the supervision of Dr. A. Daugulis
September 2013 – October 2015
- University of Waterloo, B. Sc., Major in Biochemistry (Honours)
Dean’s Honour List
September 2007 – April 2011
Awards and Certificates
- NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Assistantship
Held May 2011 – August 2011
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship
Held September 2014 – September 2015
Qualifications and Skills:
- Proficient in the use of a wide range of publishing tools, including:
- Microsoft Office: Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook
- Google Apps: Documents, Sheets, Forms, Analytics, and Calendars
- Adobe: Photoshop, Audition, Premiere, Acrobat
- On-line platforms such as WordPress, Squarespace, and YouTube
- Rated a top writer in Climate Change and Sustainability on Medium
- Editor for Climate Conscious.
- Hard working, collaborative, and creative.
- Subject matter expertise on biochemistry, chemical engineering, green chemistry, bioremediation, and environmental engineering.
- Comfortable working in as a member of a group or independently.
- Extensive experience teaching and training coworkers on a range of subjects.
- Skilled at writing articles or creating presentations for either a specialized audience, or for the general public.
- Comfortable working with children, adolescents, or seniors.
Academic Writing Samples
- Harris J., Viner K., Champagne P., Jessop P., (2018) Advances in microalgal lipid extraction for biofuel production: a review, Biofuel, Bioproducts, and Biorefining, 12(6), p. 1118-1135
- Lee R., Harris J., Champagne P., Jessop P., (2016) CO2-Catalysed conversion of carbohydrates to 5-hydroxymethyl furfural, Green Chemistry, 18, p. 6305-6310
For latest samples of non-academic writing samples please see the home page.